Sunday, March 29, 2015

On the Reservation

After watching "Smoke Signals", "30 Days", and reading "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian" I have seen examples of what life can be like on a Native American Reservation. When comparing the society, culture, and area that I live in to Arnold's there are noticeable similarities and differences. To start of with what is most obvious to me and most prevalent is the rampant alcoholism on Native American Reservations. In my neighborhood alcohol is an almost non-existent problem, yet on many reservations it is so prevalent that it is one of the first difference that I wanted to talk about. It sounds like alcohol is not just a problem because of health risks but how it can stop people from following their dreams. Arnold said that if people had paid attention to his parents dreams that they could have been teachers or musicians and I think that that's a very significant statement. In my community for example simply because I liked computers someone asked me to intern at their computer shop which I have been doing for almost 2 years now. There are many more opportunities than there are on the reservation. On the reservation it seems as if there are many more cultures and traditions. There aren't very many traditions that my family and none that have much historical significance. Despite these differences, from a social perspective there are similarities as well. As kids it seems most similarities can be drawn from their dreams. In the end we still live inside of the same country and are all human which makes us similar. On the reservation it seems as if Native culture is still very alive although only time will tell if it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment